New in Chess Magazine 2017/6
This issue covers Hou Yifan and her victory in Biel. And of course there is an abundance of exclusive masterclasses by elite players from all over the world: Levon Aronian, youngest IM in history Praggnanandhaa, MVL and many others.Contents:
- Hou Yifan: Queen Biel - The Chinese star underpinned her ambitions to shine in mixed events with a spectacular win after a superb 3/3 finish.
- Sinquefield’s largesse - How much money is Rex Sinquefield spending on chess?
- Sinquefield Cup - Amid a mind-boggling stream of top-quality events, the Sinquefield Cup remains St. Louis’s finest. In the fifth edition, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave thwarted the ambitions of World Champion Magnus Carlsen.
- Judit Polgar’s column - Zoltan Almasi, a fighter that you can rely on.
- The new Anand? - Is 12-year-old Praggnanandhaa on course to become the youngest GM in history?
- St. Louis: US Chess Capital - A practical map.
- Interview: Maxime Vachier-Lagrave - The Frenchman on his greatest success to date and his ambitions for the near future. And his beard, of course.
- Garry Kasparov - his last hurrah? - While Levon Aronian was on the rampage in the St. Louis Rapid & Blitz, all eyes were on the return of Garry Kasparov.
- Second summer - For a change, Nigel Short didn’t stay at home for the summer holidays.
- Secrets of Opening Surprises - In these days of hybrids, here is a mix of the Pirc and the Nimzowitsch Defence.
- Fair & Square - How did Bill Cosby compare chess to marriage?
- Maximize Your Tactics - Find the right moves.
- Chess Pattern Recognition - Odd rook moves that make sense.
- Radjabov’s return - The Azeri GM surprised all and sundry by winning the Geneva Grand Prix.
- Closing time - Hans Ree muses about the disappearance of chess cafés.
- Sadler on Books - Great masters that are willing to share the secrets from their notebooks.
- Test: 1,2,3,4 - A dashing attacking game from the friendly match against Ding Liren that Anish Giri won in Wenzhou.
- Inspired Jobava - Jan Timman admires the Georgian artist’s play at the Xtracon Open.
- Just Checking - Eric Hansen’s choice of the best thing ever said about chess.
- NIC’s Café - Russian GM Riazantsev reaches an unusual chess peak. And obviously Superman and Batman are into chess as well.
- Your Move - Was Judit Polgar sighted in New York in 1985 or wasn’t she?
And much more ... ISBN: 9789056917340, New in Chess, Magazine, 106 pages