HM The Queen
Elizabeth II acceded to the throne in February 1952. She was installed as a Lady of the Order of the Garter during a service in 1948. Her Majesty is shown wearing the Sovereign's robes of the Order, a mantle of blue velvet with the Garter Star embroidered on the left hand side. Around her neck The Queen wears the collar of the Order from which hangs the figure of St George fighting the dragon.HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
Prince Philip was installed as a Knight of the Garter in 1948 by The Queen's father, King George VI. Both King George VI and his consort, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother are buried in St George's Chapel. Prince Philip's robes are similar to those of the Sovereign except that the badge of the Order is embroidered on the mantle rather than the Star.Bishop
The Bishop is modelled on The Right Reverend David Conner who, as Dean of Windsor, is also the Register of the Order of the Garter. A number of Deans of Windsor have been Bishops before being appointed to Windsor. Bishop Conner is dressed in convocation robes and around his neck wears both a pectoral cross and the badge of the Register of the Order of the Garter.Knight
A Military Knight of Windsor. The Military Knights of Windsor were founded in 1348 (the oldest formation of the British Army) as part of the College of St George, and today comprise a Governor and twelve officers. They live within Windsor Castle and regularly attend services to pray for the Sovereign and Knights of the Garter. The Military Knights are active members of the community fulfilling various voluntary roles. The uniform is that of an officer on the unattached list from the reign of William IV. The Military Knights parade in this uniform on some Sundays and at the Garter Service.Rook
The Round Tower of Windsor Castle. Windsor Castle dates from the earliest days after the Norman Conquest in 1066 and has belonged to the sovereigns of England for over 900 years. The earliest stone keep was built in the late 12th century by Henry II and was raised to its present height in 1830-1 to become Windsor Castle's famous landmark.Pawn
Chorister. The choir of St George's Chapel consists of 23 boys who attend St George's School, and 12 Lay Clerks (professional male singers). The Chapel Choir sings at eight services a week during term time. The services are open to all; more details can be obtained from the website. The murrey colour of the cassocks worn below white surplices is unique to St George's Chapel.
The College of St George which includes St George's Chapel, St George's House, The Chapter Library and Archives and St George's School is entirely self-funding. It occupies approximately a quarter of Windsor Castle but is independent of the Royal Household and held freehold by The Dean and Canons of Windsor. St George's Chapel Bookshop Ltd is the trading name of St George's Chapel Shop and all profits support St George's Chapel helping to preserve this very special place for future generations.From the Dean of Windsor
"I hope you enjoy this authorised Diamond Jubilee chess set. Should you have the opportunity to visit St George's Chapel you will find a warm welcome in a place that has been at the heart of a worshipping community for over 600 years."
Designed and developed by Studio Anne Carlton Limited Under license from St George's Chapel Bookshop Limited.
*Please note that the board is used for illustration purposes only and is NOT included.