American Chess Magazine Issue 1US Golden Dream Team - 2016 Chess Olympiad
Magazine, 152 pages
The American Chess Magazine comes to you at the end of 2016, on the crest of a wave that has provided the biggest boost to the US chess since the early 1970s, when Bobby Fischer claimed the world title from Boris Spassky.
A dream team of US grandmasters won the gold medal at the World Chess Olympiad, ahead of Ukraine, Russia, India, and over 160 other nations, while 15–year–old Texan, Jeffery Xiong, became the new World Under–20 Champion! And now the ACM has been launched to help American readers keep in touch with all the most significant happenings in the exciting world of present day chess, both at home and abroad.
The international team that has in the last six years restored the legendary Chess Informant to its former glory, and more recently revamped the 135–year–old British Chess Magazine, has now been encouraged to celebrate the resurgence of US chess with the help of some of the finest American authors and editors.
Naturally, the success of the USA team at the Chess Olympiad comes under the spotlight in our first issue, as does Jeffery Xiong’s capture of the world junior title. There is also an in-depth preview of the forthcoming world championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Sergey Karjakin, to be staged in New York during November. Nevertheless, readers might be surprised at the number of contributed articles by writers from foreign lands. But here the ACM is only mirroring how dynamic and how global the chess scene is today.
· 2016 CHESS OLYMPIAD US GOLDEN DREAM TEAM by FM Sotirios Logothetis
· TROPHY FOR COACH D; Q&A with IM John Donaldson, Captain of the US team
· TOP THREE US GAMES by GM Ivan Sokolov
· MY OLYMPIAD DIARY by GM Sam Shankland
· I AM SO PROUD OF TEAM USA! by GM Jeffery Xiong, 2016 World Junior Champion
· 4th DIMENSION by GM Pentala Harikrishna
· A BITTERSWEET FINAL ROUND by GM Eric Hansen
· NEXT TIME I’LL TAKE ON h7! by GM David Smerdon
· I SPRUNG A TRAP FOR NAKAMURA by GM Mikheil Mchedlishvili
· THE BEST RESULT OF MY CAREER by GM Andrei Volokitin
· OUR VICTORY OVER RUSSIA CATAPULTED US TO THE TOP, BUT...by GM Irina Krush
· THE WORLD TITLE MATCH CARLSEN VS KARJAKIN, New York 2016
· GREAT EXPECTATIONS by GM Boris Gulko
· CARLSEN & KARJAKIN IN 2016, A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS by GM Mauricio Flores Rios
· A DAY WITH THE CHALLENGER IN MOSCOW by FM Josip Asik
· WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH...by GM Vassily Ivanchuk
· NOVELTY ON MOVE 2! by GM Baadur Jobava
· ENDGAME TRENCH WARFARE by GM Jonathan Speelman
· MUSINGS OF AN AMERICAN GRANDMASTER by GM Joel Benjamin
· CHESS.COM: BEHIND THE SCENES by IM Danny Rensch
· CHESS NBA LEAGUE!? Q & A With IM Greg Shahade
· BEAUTY OF CHESS COMPOSITION by Solving GM Piotr Murdzia, seven-times World Solving Champion
· MILLIONAIRE CHESS by GM Mackenzie Molner
· TOURNAMENT REVIEW August - October 2016
· WHERE GRANDMASTERS ADVISE YOUNG PLAYERS: TWICE US CHAMPION, GM Patrick Wolff