A large-format, fun, comprehensive workbook and instruction book for children and adults ranging from those with a basic chess foundation up to the above-average tournament rated player.
Chess Tactics and Combinations Workbook presents hundreds of tactical patterns and combinations from significant master and grandmaster games in this book in the Chess Detective® Workbook series.
Learn the fundamentals of how to identify, execute, and defend against tactical themes to improve your game.
Cover basic tactics in detail from pins, skewers, forks, and discoveries, to more advanced tactical motifs like removing the guard, clearance, and interference.
- 200 problems with comprehensive answer key at two skill levels: Basset Hound (novice to intermediate) and Chess Detective (intermediate to advanced)
- common mistakes to avoid during each phase of the game
- how to think during the game on your time and your opponent’s time
- chess quotes from famous chess players
- fun and entertaining illustrations