These deluxe chessmen in the traditional Staunton style first made by Jaques of London in 1849 are crafted from fine ebony and Kari wood. They are hand polished for a beautiful luster, they are triple weighted for superior stability. The Staunton design has become the standard for tournament play. The pieces are easily distinguishable making for easier game play. Knights are made to resemble the head and neck of a horse. Kings are the tallest pieces featuring a cross atop a closed crown. Queens are slightly smaller than the kings, and feature a coronet topped with a small ball. Rooks feature castle battlements, and bishops resemble a liturgical headdress of a western church. Pawns are the smallest and are topped by a plain ball. The pieces which represent humans (the king, queen, bishop, and pawn) feature a collar which separates the body from the head design. These can be used for tournament play and will be enjoyed for years to come.
- Jacques Staunton style chess pieces
- Luxury pieces are crafted from Ebony and Kari wood
- Pieces are handpolished & triple weighted for ultimate stability during play
- King measures 3.75 in. with 1.63 in. diameter base
- Includes 32 chessmen with felt bottoms